Prior Year Tax Filing

Filing past years tax returns can be very intimidating.  There are severe penalties and fines that may be associated with you filings that can be avoided with the appropriate preparation.  Our tax technicians at All About Tax LLC. are well versed in assisting our clients become current with their tax filings.  We accomplish this by following the guidelines listed below:

Step 1: Gather your tax documents

To file your back tax returns, you will need the W-2s or 1099 forms you received for those tax years to report your income. If you are eligible for deductions and credits, you must also gather any receipts or other supporting records that prove your eligibility to claim them.

Step 2: Request missing documentation

If you are missing any of your tax documents from the last 10 years, you can request a copy from the IRS by filing Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.

Step 3: Download prior year IRS tax forms

You must always file your back tax returns on the original forms for each tax year you are filing. You can always search through the IRS website for the forms, but for quicker access, you should use sophisticated tax preparation software, such as TurboTax.

Step 4: Prepare your back tax returns

You cannot complete prior year tax forms using instructions from the current tax year.

  • The tax law changes every year, and using the wrong instructions may require you to prepare the return over again.
  • Double check to make sure that the instructions you are using are for the same tax year as the tax return you are preparing.

Step 5: Submit your forms

Submit the forms to the IRS at the address listed in the Form 1040 instructions.

  • If you owe additional income tax for any of the prior years, remember to include as large of a payment as you can to reduce your interest charges.
  • Unlike tax penalties which stop accruing when the maximum is reached, monthly interest still accrues indefinitely until the tax is paid.
  • Once the IRS receives your tax returns, you should expect to receive notice of the exact penalty and interest charges you are responsible for.

Allow one of All About Tax technicians to assist you with your tax issue by completing the form below: